Here we go again! 2018 is about to bid us goodbye whilst 2019 is raring to say hello!! In case you are in Hong Kong for New Year’s Eve, experiencing the popular and spectacular fireworks that dazzle up the HK horizon is a must.
From 11 pm, on the 31st Dec, at 15-minute intervals, “Shooting Stars” - short bursts of pyrotechnics, are launched at 15-minute intervals lighting up the sky. As the clock ticks down to midnight, the spectacular 10-minute pyromusical show begins, starting on Victoria Harbour, followed by displays launched from the harbour, Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre (HKCEC) in Wan Chai, and nearby buildings.
We have concocted an eclectic list of the best places close to the western district to watch the spectacle, some along the harbour, from a boat or others from high in a skyscraper. From free venues to some of the more exclusive venues, check out our list below!
Photo Credit: https://www.hong-kong-traveller.com
[if !supportLists]1) CENTRAL HARBOUR FRONT/ CENTRAL PIERS No. 9 & No. 10: One of the best and FREE viewpoints for appreciating the NYE fireworks from sea level. The Central Harbour Front is one of our favourite spots but also a favourite among many locals! Our advice? Head to Central Harbourfront early to snag one of the best spots as this will likely be the busiest spot to watch the fireworks this NYE!
Photo Credit: mountainsoftravelphotos.com
2) IFC MALL ROOF TOP: Easy access to IFC Mall from the Central MTR or bus station, Star Ferry Piers, MTR Hong Kong Station or the Mid-Level Escalator. On the Roof Top (Level 4) of this shopping centre, you'll find public free-seating areas and a great place to admire the year-end festivities. You can buy your food and drinks from the bars and restaurants around, get your own or alternatively buy some at City Super (1st floor). Perfetto ❤!
3) TAMAR PARK: When taking MTR Admiralty Station Exit A, follow the directions to Tamar Park which offers open lawn areas for those who prefer watching the fireworks while laying on soft grass and relaxing.
Gather your friends, bring a picnic, a bottle (or two!) of prosecco and set up camp about an hour before the fireworks start 😊. TOP TIP: Once the fireworks start, everyone stands up so be sure to sit nearer the harbour.
4) THE PEAK: THE PEAK: This is probably the highest spot from which to watch the fireworks. We would however not recommend it as a viewpoint for year-end festivities and fireworks as the view is limited (blocked by tall buildings) and at a distance. The best is to view from sea level. Also if the cloud levels are very low, which they have been a couple times in recent years for the CNY fireworks celebration, the Peak vantage point may not be helpful at all
5) SKY100 AT ICC: Celebrations in the SKY...this might actually be the feeling you'll get being here! But this feeling comes at a cost. The “2019 New Year’s Eve Countdown Firework Package” is purchasable on the sky100 website for HKD 568 (all guests aged 3 and over). Package includes one-night admission ticket and one drink & snack redemption coupon. For details: https://sky100.com.hk/special-offers/2019-new-year-eve-countdown-firework-package-terms.
TOP TIP: If taking public transportation to get there, bus 905 is the fastest most practical mode of commute, taking an average of 15-30 minutes from Central.
6) CELEBRATING ON WATER: Wishing to spend the NYE on a Cruise, Yacht or a Junk? Most of the "affordable " options on waters seem to be sold out already. However, if you are the type who like living life like a king (or queen!) you might want to join 'This is Asia' tours exclusive “2019 Hong Kong New Year's Eve Fireworks Luxury Open Bar Cruise”. An all-cost paid celebration guaranteeing the best seats in town aboard an intimate and exclusive 70ft yacht!! A whopping HKD 3000 per pax (for 6 hours of fun, food and drinks) for the most fantastic night view and the magnificent New Year's Eve fireworks with less than 50 people. They still have tickets left! For details: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2019-hong-kong-new-years-eve-fireworks-luxury-open-bar-cruise-authentic-dinner-18only-tickets-52148841589
Aside from our favourite spots, other great places where you can catch an eyeful of the fireworks are Hong Kong Exhibition and Convention Center, Harbour City Car Park, China Ferry Terminal, Hung Hom, West Kowloon waterfront Promenade or the Kowloon Peak.
Wherever you go to admire the fireworks, remember that heavy traffic is expected on the road. Public transportation is your best bet and again, plan early as it is expected to be very busy especially closer to midnight. Expect mega crowds at most of these sights.
Last but not the least HAPPY and ROCKING 2019 LOCALHOODERS 🎉🎉🎉